Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Johannus Opus 1105 External Speakers Help Needed Please
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobCharles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Johannus Opus 1105 External Speakers Help Needed Please Reply with quote

Hi Has anyone out there got a similer organ too what I have, and what does it sound like with external speakers can anyone help ???

Last edited by RobCharles on Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
RobCharles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone??
diapason8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

I don't know this particular model Johannus, but played a late analogue Johannus in a previous organist's post. The church was large, and money very short: the roof needed urgent work and this organ had been bought second-hand as a temporary stopgap.

The dealer provided a Johannus-made unit which provided amplification and some 'sound-enhancement'. This drove four small external speakers which were placed out of sight on the rood screen. Two of these provided some reverb. We also kept the internal speakers.

This system considerably improved the sound volume and quality and made the organ capable of supporting a large congregation.

I also have a very old Allen as a home practice organ. This has no internal speakers, but a large unit - about five feet high - containing several speakers. Obviously, I keep it turned very low in the house, but it sounds reasonable (for an old analogue organ), and far better that it would if there were just much smaller internal speakers.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Nigel
RobCharles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thank you very much for that, its most helpfull

The Organ was purchased from Makin Organs about 5 years ago, it has 4 channels of Audio (Internal Speakers) with a pervision for external speakers theres a switch for it as follows A - Internal Speakers, A/B Half the sound from the internals with Externals, and B External Speakers only, can you also confirm as well can the volume for the external speakers be controlled from the volume on the organ?

The Church itself is small/medium Church, in 2004 we combined my other too Churches together too have more coming too Church, so I thought this was a good idea, but on some days we have a small congregation on good days we have a good crowd or even better when there is a big event, (Not Good for Internal Speakers as you can imagine) this is why I want too do it, The Church at the moment have just had a new Rector last one of tragic curcumstances, and they have too rather important issues that requre allot of work e.g Extending the Graveyard (Planning permission) and Making the Church Acess allot safer, because its by a main Road.

As you know they arnt a Rich Church I contacted Makin about the cost of a 4 Channel Speaker System of just over 2,000! Or wether someone got their sums wrong! But I can make this work by doing some Fund Raising Ideas such as Organ Recitals and perhaps doing a couple of Songs of Praise Services or Maybe getting a grant...... But at the moment I'm going too put this on hold so the Church can sort the remaining problems out with what they are faceing.

Do I have all the right points??
diapason8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

Sorry for the delay - I've just got back from choir practice.

The volume of the external speakers should be controlled by the swell pedal(s) on the organ, but a max (or min) volume may be independently settable on any additional amplifier unit attached to the external speakers. From experience of different organs - and I must stress that I'm not a sound engineer - it's very important to get decent sized speakers for the bass. My ancient Allen has two 16" speakers for the pedal. Depending on the layout of the church, and the position of the console in relation to any choir and the congregation you'll need to decide where best to place the external speakers. In the Anglican Church you'll need Faculty permission to install them, and the DAC will be fussy about obscuring architectural features or moving/fixing things to ancient walls or woodwork. I'm not sure about the situation with other churches.

Makin's price seems high, but they are the experts in their organs. However, you may find some decent speaker cabinets secondhand - perhaps on Ebay. It may be worth experimenting if you can borrow some kit, (perhaps from a band or carnival club) but make sure first from a sound engineer, that they are suitable for the organ. You don't want to blow them or to damage the organ amplifier.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Nigel
RobCharles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Nigel

Thanks for your reply - first of all what Church do you play in Summerset and what organ do you play on ?

I play in 2 Churches One has a 2 Manual Tracker Conacher 1898! and the other is the Johannus Organ that we are talking about the other Church we have joined together has a 2 Manual Makin Westmorland 20 Stop Organ but I don't play there 7 Externals at the back - Nice sound!

I would of thought also the volume for the externals can be adjusted from the volume control switch on the organ that controls the internal speakers

Could I send you a photo of the Church i'm talking about ??

I live in Swansea so its the Church in Wales for me

I'm not shure entirely what speakers I would need for this organ, but looking on the Johannus Website www.johannus.com they have SP Speaker Cabinets and some other type of Cabinets as well

When the Church have completed all there plans I might say "Why don't we arrange for a demonstration too hear them in use"?

I havent got a home practice instrument yet but I need too save up quite a bit, I'm looking at a Makin Jubilee or the 3 Manual 41 Tab

Anyway Write back with more too add

Thanks Rob
diapason8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. My main church is St Peter & Paul at North Curry. This in on the edge of the Somerset Levels and is known as 'The Cathedral of the Moors'. We have a 2 manual & pedal pipe organ, originally by Clarke on Bath (18th Century). It was last rebuilt in 1985 by Deane Organ Builders in Taunton. Unfortunately, the church is 12 miles from home, so I clock up a large mileage! I also deputize in several local churches with various organs ranging from a one manual 4 stop chamber organ to the Johannus I mentioned in my earlier reply.

A friend was organist of Oystermouth many years ago (probably 70's), and a local priest has come to us from Merthyr Tydfil recently.

I've been asked to play occasionally on a Rodgers electronic in a village church, so It'll be interesting to see what it's like. A local organist has recently bought a Westmorland 2 manual. I've heard it, but not tried it myself.

There are some very cheap analogue electronics for sale on Ebay, and it might be worth looking. I bought my Allen about 6 years ago when a church in Weston-super-Mare updated to a Viscount. It cost me 100 and has, so far, been reliable. The sound quality is poor by today's digital standards, but its adequate for practice.

Your Conacher sounds interesting, and I would guess that the Makin is probably better than the Johannus. Re the speakers, I looked briefly on Ebay last night and here were 2 Yamaha organ speakers going and also some Hammond 'Leslie's'. The Yamahas may be suitable for your church ?.

From many years experience of church politics and PCC's, I would suggest that you push on with your plans and don't wait for the graveyard etc to be done first. Churches will always fimd something 'more important' to do first, and the organ will be considered to be ok if it still makes a noise! Good luck,

Nigel
RobCharles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Nigel,

As I said for the moment Ile keep the external speakers on hold untill they sort out the more important issues in Church, and that has too come first.

So how do you know Oystermouth then? I go there for Organ Tution - its a fine organ there its a 3 Manual Conacher - www.allsaintsmumblesorg one of the best ive played its a real concert organ over the years its been there its been rebilt on numerous acations recently in 1998 via Percy Danniel, at a cost of 103,000!! At the moment its having problems with the dry weather...

Your say you have heard the Westmorland 20 Stop Organ - what did you think of the sound from it? When I heard the one in our parish - boy what a sound. Makin do the best affordable organs I have seen...

Over the years Ive been playing I have had 2 previous teachers, the 2nd one was Dr Ian Graham who was organist/choirmaster at All Saints Oystermouth in the 1980's he past away a few years ago, but I had lessons on a 3 manual Copeman Hart! Its brilliant on how technology has advanced over the years hasnt it? Most Organ Companys do these organs but they never sound like a pipe organ, The most ive
heard from organs are the Makins, Allens, and Copeman Harts,

Many thanks

Rob
diapason8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

Interesting to see that a lot of people have looked at this topic, but nobody has posted ........?

I only know of Oystermouth in that a friend, Keith Gibbs, was Organist there in the early 70's (?). His son, Nick, was a chorister at Llandaff Cathedral and now lives in Bristol and sings in a choir where his wife is Organist.

Also, as I mentioned, the Rector of a local church here in West Somerset came 2 years ago from near Merthyr and he knew of Oystermouth church. The nearest I've been was last year when I took my step-daughter to a meeting at Swansea University and had a meal in a pub along the coast.

The Westmorland I've heard (but not yet played) belongs to a local professional organist & teacher who previously had a Copeman Hart. I've sung to it - in his house - with a local choir, and it sounded very good: much better than my Allen!

Another local church near Minehead is inthe process of buying a Copeman Hart and I hope to try it when its in - possibly by the end of this year. Apparently they have to complete some internal building alterations first.

I only joined this forum yesterday, but am surprized that there are not more postings. I hope that some more lurkers join the discussions or start their own topics.

Regards,

Nigel
RobCharles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nigel

Ive only joined this forum about a couple of weeks now and its pritty good when someone answers our prayers!

Again allot of view from people but they seem too be afraid too ask thats what forums are for!

With the Westmorland Organ that chap has, has externals or internal speakers?

Also can Churches get grant funding Ive looked at the pilling trust on www.churchcare.co.uk that is too fund a new organ?

Cheers

Rob
diapason8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

The Westmorland had some small external speakers close to the console and others, I think, built into a gallery over the room. I'm not too sure about the size of those, but it sounded good for accompaniment.

I've come across grants for the restoration of historic pipe organs, but not for anythng else. But, there are a huge number of charities out there, so it may be worth a try.

I'm signing off soon to prepare for Mass tomorrow morning - I think a run through of the RVW 'Rhosmedre' would be a good idea as I'm playing it before the service with Bach's ' Herzlich thut mich verlangen' afterwards. Something quiet and thoughtful as it's Passion Sunday.

Regards,

Nigel
RobCharles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nigel how was Church Today?

Mine went ok this morning I was playing the Conacher Organ this morning, and I then went too an Organ Recital

What is your favourate Organ Peice you play on the Organ??
diapason8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

First time near the computer since yesterday after lunch as I had to go to Exeter.

Yesterday was a catalogue of errors at Curry Cathedral: The heating packed up to the temperature was down to the low 50's. Hence, the organ was very flat, with the Swell (which is 6' higher than the Great) a being slightly less flat!

I also picked up the wrong music so, instead of what I'd intended, I ended up playing the Rheinberger prelude on the Passion Chorale and Flor Peters 'Aria'.

But the Anthem went well, with all of my six choir members present and in good voice. We have a surprizingly good sound from so few. They're mostly good confident readers..

I'm not a professional organist, having had some lessons years ago. I'd like to be able to afford more, but, being unwell and having been made redundant from the full-time job, there's no hope yet. I'm practising the D minor Toccata & Fugue for Easter and the Lefebure-Wely Eb Sortie for later on. I also like some transcriptions (Philistine, I hear them all shout), and played the Vicar out to the Mendelssohn 'War March of the Priests' before Lent.

Hope your servies went well yesterday.

Regards,

Nigel
RobCharles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nigel

Church went good on Sunday, a good turnout I played a few bach Corales Book 15 and played some of Andrew Mores Litercle Minutures thats a lovly book too have (Kevin Mayhew)

I went too an Organ recital at Swansea's Brangwyn Hall, then I went too All Saints in Mumbles for a service there

Thinking of some hymns for midweek Lent on Wednesday and for Palm Sunday, Ive got a few in mind for Sunday as an organ friend photocopys the Sunday by Sunday via Rscm but the palm sunday list is not included!

All the best

Rob
diapason8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good day musically! I like Andrew Moore's interludes - he's followed on from Dom Gregory Murray, both in his playing post at Downside and his published music. Did you know that Mayhew's have re-issued Murray's interludes. I use them regularly.

Palm Sunday hymns almost choose themselves, with the 'obligatory' All Glory Laud and Honour and Ride On. We have a procession around the village at the start of the Mass and a dramatized reading of the Gospel. We're singing The Royal Banners Forward Go as an anthem.

In the evening we have a meditation based on Compline for which we 'll join with the Methodist congregation. The choir are going to sing Damian Lundy's setting of The Reproaches, Mozart's Ave Verum Corpus and Greening's Drop, slow tears. Following on from another thread on the forum, I'm going to play Fling wide the gates from Stainer's Crucifixion as a voluntary.

Regards,

Nigel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: