Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Pay to Listen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lancecornea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Pay to Listen Reply with quote

Logging on this week to St.Thomas' Church, Fifth Ave, New York, I wasn't surprised to see that they now intend to charge US$5 per month to listen to their streamed services.
The Aussie dollar is getting close to parity with the Greenback so I intend to subscribe. Good value for 4 evensongs and one communion service per week IMHO.

Lance
jpfsc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Pay to Listen Reply with quote

I was saddened to read of ST now charging the public for using the Streaming of it's Services. I think they miss a great PR/advertising opportunity in doing so. How else are global tourists to know that this Anglican treasury exists in midtown NYC? I think we might have to get the tourism-minded Mayor Bloomberg to intervene with Fr. Mead & John Scott. Bloomie expects to increase tourism by 15% to 50 million a year.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe
I think for the occasional browsers, what you say is true, but for the likes of me who listens to as many services online as I have time to do so, then some payment for this priviledge is justified. In discussions with you about the music at SMV, my perception was that the church couldn't afford streaming their services. Perhaps ST are feeling the pinch too.
Currently there is a way to listen free of charge. On the home page, there's a button "I'll contribute next time" which lets you in. This has currently let me in three times free of charge. When it doesn't, then I'll pay my dues!

Good to hear from you in this "quiet....too quiet" time for this Forum.

Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Pay to Listen Reply with quote

jpfsc wrote:
Bloomie expects to increase tourism by 15% to 50 million a year.

With the weak American dollar, the US is certainly a bargain for Brits. My aunt and uncle live in Seattle -ah, my beloved Starbucks- and they have once again extended an invitation to visit this December. I can't wait. I love Seattle (I lived there for a few years during my teens), and St. Mark's Cathedral is truly a class act.
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
Good to hear from you in this "quiet....too quiet" time for this Forum.

Well, Lance you need to stir things up. How about starting a controversial thread? Wake the Anglicans up.

Myself... and here I go... on another (and unrelated) forum I had opportunity to recall what I had read about the Alec Wyton years at St. John the Divine. I have a CD of his music. Well, all I can say is that he must have been a remarkably progressive musician. He was a giant. And one thinks of Larry King at Trinity Wall Street...

Trying to think of any parallel examples amongst current British foundations. Perhaps Philip Moore at York? Who else? Archer's pleasantly vapid sounding music will never stand the test of time... but of course he takes the and runs. And good on him... I wish I had a fraction of his talent.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Evans wrote:
Well, Lance you need to stir things up. How about starting a controversial thread? Wake the Anglicans up.

I would have thought that when you introduced the thread on the new John Stainer book that the knives would come out. Mention anything good about Stainer and then run for cover! But not this time. How things have changed! Wink
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
Mention anything good about Stainer and then run for cover! But not this time. How things have changed! Wink

So far I haven't been met in a dark alley.

Seriously, Lance, you need to read that book.
jpfsc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance,
I had a chance to attend Evensong for All Saints yesterday at St. Thomas; I presumed you listened as well. The all-Leighton program w/ Magdalen College Canticles was impressive - especially the Nunc Dimittis. Unfortunately, Evensong was sparsely attended. Fr. Mead's homily was 'right on' as well.
I remarked how few faces were familiar in the Mens' section this season The sound of the Choir under John Scott was still awesome.
Joe
RobCharles

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what happend with my Vicar on Sunday, as I'm a member of the RSCM so I get the Sunday by Sunday, and I pick the hymns for the month ahead. For the 4th of November it had in the booklet "The Forth Sunday Before Advent!" (Else where it had "All Saints Sunday on the Thursday)Confused He could of least rung me up to tell me to re-amended the choices.

This I'm not impressed with at all. Sad
diapason8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I choose the hymns jointly with te Vicar - we have a meeting once a month or so. That we, we can discuss what we each want and there are no surprises.

We didn't have a service on All Saints Day itself, and had the 'saints' hymns on Sunday. I guess most parishes (except All Saints dedications) do thta these days (unfortunately Sad ).

N
RobCharles

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ile bear that in mind Nigel, I just can't understand it, he hardly picks up the phone to have a weekly chat, he's to tied to the other church all the time me thinks.
diapason8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It comes back to the same thing - you need a better church where they'll appreciate you and work with you.

N
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: