Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

L. J. White

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helen Jeune

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: L. J. White Reply with quote

I am trying to find information on L. J. White. He (or is it she?) seems to be somewhat enigmatic! Can anyone provide information, dates or other general knowledge. All I know of him/her is the delightful "A Prayer of St. Richard of Chichester" written around 1919.

Regards to all,

Helen Jeune.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much doubt that he or she wrote this in 1919, as L.J.White was born in 1910, and is certainly no Mozart. I think 1950 might be closer to the mark, given that the anthem appears in the Oxford Easy Anthem Book, first published in 1957. (Someone may correct me on this)
The dedication of the piece was to Mrs.D.R.Marlowe and the Dudden Hill Girls' School Choir. A search for Mrs.Marlowe and Dudden Hill proves as elusive as L.J.White. However it would seem that a school did exist which later became part of Willesden College of Technology.
L.J.White also wrote a Communion Setting in E flat, published by Oxford. And like the setting of A Prayer Of St.Richard Of Chichester, is also in Unison.

Oddly this topic appeared in this same forum back in Feb.2003, and received no response Shocked
http://www.churchmusic.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=40&

Lance
Helen Jeune

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply, Lance, I am pleased that you have confirmed that 1910 was L.J.White's birth date. The first copyright I can find on the St Richard is dated 1947. Would you happen to know what the"L.J" stands for??

-Helen
lancecornea

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Long John" perhaps? Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: